Thursday, July 08, 2004

The American Dream

I am a son of slaves and freedmen,
a son of pilgrims and thieves and pioneers;
I am a traveler whose road has been long and bittersweet,
I am a dreamer whose road is gold and gray and neverending;
I am a fool for freedom, a dancer in history,
I sing the American dream and it is ever mine.

I am a son of fools and prophets,
a son of madmen, working men, fighting men;
I am a child who bleeds for pride and selflessness,
I am a boy who cries for justice and fortune and fleeting fame;
I am a fool for fairness, a whisper in eternity,
I shout the American dream and it is ever mine.

I am a son of rainbows and shadows,
a son of the brighter day and the star-spangled night;
I am a man who knows fear and glory and pain,
I am a man who knows majesty and folly and divine grace;
I am a fool for justice, a singer in rainstorms,
I dream the American dream and it is ever mine.

©2004 neverending rainbow enterprises, ltd. All rights reserved.

No comments: