Friday, January 28, 2005

Random Notes (Grey Friday edition)

Bah. No football this weekend (yeah, I know that it will true for every weekend after next Sunday...I do not count the Pro Bowl as a serious football game and neither do most of the guys who play in it...until August but I'll deal with that when we get there) and it's raining again.

A grey weekend seems likely...especially with having to tackle the task of pulling together information to give to the accountant so that he can sort out the tax situation (it could be that we all become Bush Republicans...no matter what our real political stripe...when we're figuring out what we owe to the tax man...cut them taxes, Mr. President! :-)

(The tax thing isn't really that...well...taxing since records are kept online and receipts are neatly stored in a filing cabinet.)


Good weekend to see one or two of those Oscar-nominated movies perhaps (or take the time to watch those Netflix movies I've had sitting on the shelf for the past week.) Maybe make a dent in my ever-burgeoning reading stack. And there are poems to be edited and formatted for a project. Or perhaps I can make a stab at finally finish the novel I've been working on for far too long.


Hmm, maybe not so grey after all (the cynical optimist suddenly seeing that glass as half-full...)

A week-long writing experiment begins to be presented in this space on Sunday (for reasons that will make sense then.)


*****

Currently in my CD player:

"Get Away from Me"
Nellie McKay

"Waltz of a Ghetto Fly"
Amp Fiddler
"Bigger is Always Better" Deni Bonet

Currently sporting selections from my collection of colorful bookmarks:

Chronicles, Volume 1
- Bob Dylan

A Serious Way of Wondering
- Reynolds Price

The Godfather Returns
- Mark Winegardner

DVDs patiently waiting for my attention:
Talk to Her (from Netflix)
Anchorman (from Netflix)
Swept Away (the original, not the Madonna misfire...from Netflix)
Batman: The Animated Series, Volume 2
Alfred Hitchcock: The Signature Collection
(Xmas gift...thanks again, Barrett :-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to read about the writing project. As an aspiring writer, and one that still has a book to finish too, I am eager to learn more.

Micah said...

That Nellie McKay cd is excellent. Check out her site: http://www.nelliemckay.net/ She's got a bunch of full live shows available for download (for free).

Ms Mac said...

Good Luck with all that!
I thought Anchorman was ok... what about you?

Michael K. Willis said...

Anchorman (I finally watched it today) was amusing enough. Of course, sending up local newscasts and newscasters isn't really that big a stretch :-) I enjoyed it but I wouldn't need to see it again anytime soon.