Sunday, January 09, 2005

rain (a brief, jaded rant)

Some might say that it is unseemly for someone living in Southern California...in San Diego no less...to complain about the winter weather. While acknowledging and accepting the truth and logic of that, I do not care...a complaint must be filed with whatever cosmic powers there might be collecting such mortal hubris.

I love rain. Rainy days and Mondays. Raindrops that keep fallin' on my head. Walkin' in the rain with the one I love. All that jazz. But after three grey, very wet days (and at least one more promised in this current string of overlapping stormfronts), it's time for a little dryness. At least for a few days maybe...

(We have, it should be noted, just come out of a years-long drought where rainfall was sparse and gladly welcomed when the clouds deigned to open upon us so the notion of wishing the rain away in this corner of the world is tantamount to treason. But, again, I do not care. Besides our potable water comes from the mountains and from the Colorado river, the water that falls here in the city mostly runs off into the blue Pacific.)

I will admit to be a temperature-pampered, thin-blooded Southern Californian...accepting the scorn of those who have snow and frost to dig out from under this fine January with averted eyes and silent grace...and look up to the heavens for a bit of a respite just the same.

Okay, that's off my chest...I feel better now...and my umbrella is still at the ready. If it must...in the immortal words of Eric Clapton...let it rain...



3 comments:

Tavis Pitt said...

Wow, an American complaining about the weather. I thought this was only an English thing!

Alan S said...

We're having dreadful weather here in Scotland. I just wish we could get four days without rain for once.

I was in Los Angeles in late September and while I thought it was roasting, my Californian friends were complaining about the cold, and started going out in the evening with their sweaters. So I guess you're not the only one there with thin-blood.

Hope the sun's back for you soon.

Anonymous said...

1, tetracycline for stomach infections,