Monday, January 03, 2005

Monday Night Blues

Every winter I find myself asking the same question: what the hell am I supposed to do on Monday nights now that "Monday Night Football" is done for the season? Read a book or something "worthwhile" like that?

PBS is gamely trying to fill the void but "The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer" and "Antiques Roadshow" don't give one the same rush that watching the controlled mayhem of a good NFL game under the lights does. (Fox is showing something called "Who's Your Daddy?" but even the commercials for it made my skin crawl and I'm certainly not surrendering 90 minutes of my life to that.)

But, that said, this too will pass...it does every year (and I can soothe my jangled nerves with the knowledge that there are still three weekends of playoffs... and the Super Bowl...in the offing before I have to go into total pro football withdrawal until late summer...)

Guess I'll go get my book...

*****

Current listening:
"Ride This" Los Lobos
"Live" The Jazz Crusaders (thanks, Danny!)
"Dangerous Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes" TV on the Radio

Current Reading:
Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim - David Sedaris




2 comments:

Eileen said...

If it's any consolation Michael I know exactly what you mean. I personally cannot wait until spring trainig starts. It's funny, I'm the only girl in my family and the only one who is sports obsessed.

Anonymous said...

Go SAN DIEGO CHARGERS!!!!
Squiggler
http://squiggler.braveblog.com