Sunday, January 23, 2005

Only in Southern California?

I stayed in a hotel in Newport Beach last night (attended a retirement party and didn't want to make the nearly 2-hour trip back south to San Diego late at night while ever-so-slightly buzzed on rum and colas) and found a mild surprise in the bedstand drawer. There next to the ubiquitous Gideon Bible was a copy of The Teachings of Buddha (having been placed there by a Buddhist group whose name escapes me now that I am back home.) Admittedly I don't spend a lot of time in hotels but I can't ever remember seeing any other spiritual book other than the ones distributed by the Gideons having been placed in drawers in the rooms.

It was kind of cool and I actually leafed through it bit this morning before checking out (though if this becomes a trend, the bedstand drawers in hotels could turn into libraries with everything from the Koran to the Book of Mormon vying for the attention of weary and/or bored travelers.)

4 comments:

Eileen said...

If you stay at a hotel in one of the mountain states you WILL find the Book of Mormon beside the Bible. When we stayed in a hotle for my nicece's wedding in Colorado it was there. Same is true in Arizona in certain hotels.

GeneNash_com said...

I've seen a Koran at least once. I think it was in Anaheim.

:)

Emperor Joseph said...

before long they will put bookshelfs in hotel rooms. they you will have a wide selection to choose from. Scary huh?

Anonymous said...

Namaste

Danny Barnes