Friday, January 07, 2005

kickin' off the "second season"

We started last fall with 32 hopefuls (hope springs eternal at the beginning of any sports season) and now we're down to 12 teams playing 11 games for all the marbles.

Of the 8 teams playing this weekend, some have legitimate reason to be in the sudden death tournament (take a bow, Colts...you too, Chargers) and some have no business being in anybody's playoffs (you know who you are don't pretend that you don't) but either way I'm looking forward to some good football (well, maybe not in the St. Louis-Seattle game...but hey, stranger things have happened...)

It's raining here in San Diego (and apparently will be all day on Saturday) and the weather may be a big factor on what goes down in the muck and mire of venerable Jack Murphy Stadium (yeah, of course I know the official name is Qualcomm Stadium but that's as silly as any other stadium named after deep-pocketed corporations and I tend to ignore it as much as I can.)

Prevailing wisdom (as embodied here by most of the talking heads on ESPN) has the home teams sweeping the wild card weekend...but, as I remember (and I could be wrong...my memory is a wildly fluctuating thing these days) that almost never happens. Somebody's going to be upset (in several definitions of the word.)

Chargers over Jets? Colts over Broncos? Packers over Vikings? Seahawks over Rams? Whatever. As long as it's fun...and frankly, being the football junkie that I am, even if it's not...I'm in.

No comments: