Saturday, February 19, 2005

Blogs of Note: No One's Child

Some things aren't meant to be easy to read. This blog certainly isn't easy to read. But that's not because it's not well written...it most certainly is that, the use of language is amazing (powerful, wholly engaging, and heartbreakingly evocative)...but rather because the story it tells is so harrowing...so healing...so filled with wounding tenderness that it brings a lump to your throat, a tear to your eye, and a righteous avenger's fire to your soul.

No One's Child is the vividly-told, brutally honest story of the author's abusive childhood...she tells the story in a finely-detailed sketches filled with a beautiful mixture of clear-eyed prose with subtly poetic undertones. Going through this site will make you, if you have any empathy in your soul, want to hug and protect the little girl the author used to be...and, more importantly, to celebrate the woman...the survivor and the gifted writer...that she grew up to be. If I had discovered no blog other than this one, I would consider the "blogosphere" to be enormously worthwhile and valuable just for its existence.

It's not for the faint of heart...brutal truth rarely is...but attention must be paid. If you've a mind to, start at the beginning...and allow the journey to unfold for you as it did for me.

4 comments:

Gel said...

Hi! I quite agree. As a writer and reader I marvel at her flow of words. As a fellow survivor I identify all too well with how difficult it is to put such thoughts out into the public arena. As a visual artist, her words create images that are burned in my memory forever. I discovered "No One's Child" through surfing via Blog Explosion (where I just discovered you!) only a few nights ago. Her writing is eloquent and inspiring. So far, I've only written on that topic privately.

Harry said...

Bookmarked, and thanks.

Cooper said...

I marked this blog a couple of weeks ago and have passed the link on to several people here at school. It sort of hits me in the jaw and squeezes my heart.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that I have not run across this one in all of my Blog surfing. I am glad that you posted your review and I will put a link to it on my Blog. Good work my friend.