Monday, March 14, 2005

Blogs of Note: 63 Days

There is no order of preference to the blogs I choose to highlight for this irregular feature...sometimes whichever site is lingering in my mind when I sit down to write one of these "blogs of note" gets the nod...often it's the one that has grabbed me most powerfully in recent days and just won't let go.

63 Days, a relatively new blog as of this writing, certainly fits that bill to a tee.

I have a fondness for blogs that are engaging (one of my favorite words as you might have noticed if you've lingered here very long), frank (sometimes heartbreakingly so), vividly and beautifully written. Two of my absolute favorite blogs... the equally (and, of course, uniquely) powerful A Gag Reflex and No One's Child...move me by ably and wondrously meeting all of those criteria... and this one promises to be a journey of that same amazing, thought-provoking, undeniably involving quality.

The writer of the way cool Tof Renkin Day!!! (itself being colorful, freewheeling, sassy, salty, bittersweet, witty as hell, and highly recommended as well) turns to her memories of being kidnapped...with her parents' consent and blessing...to one of those places where "problem" children are supposed to be, I'm presuming, "scared straight".

63 days...give or take...that were supposed to...and, undoubtedly, indeed did...change her life.

It is not an easy journey...but then it's not supposed to be (living it wasn't easy so it stands to reason that recounting it wouldn't be either.) But, again, it's a journey worth taking and one that rewards with wonderful attention to detail, strong narrative flow, and the total engagement of your heart, your soul, and your empathy...that is to say, your humanity.

No comments: