Tuesday, October 05, 2004

Dickie and Johnny sitting in a tree...

Okay, I lied. I thought for sure that I was going to ignore the other debates but, for whatever reason, I found myself watching Vice President Cheney and Senator Edwards go toe to toe during the Vice Presidential Debate.

It was, to be fair, more of a debate...an exchange of ideas...sometimes informative, sometimes self-serving, sometimes testy...than the first Presidential debate was.

The candidates mostly ignored moderator Gwen Ifill's questions in favor of long-winded grandstanding...often on a question or a reaction since passed...and pointed and personal barbs.

It was petty and hard-hitting and more than a bit nasty...not a lot of real substance but, let's be frank, it was darn entertaining television. It was actually interesting to see a little real life in the campaign. (I'd rather imagine that the President and Senator Kerry were taking notes and will perform in kind at their next meeting.)

No comments: