Monday, September 20, 2004

shall we gather by the river?

Words of Christian charity and love from the pulpit of one of the Lord's most faithful (that business with the...um...harlot back in '87 notwithstanding) servants, the right honorable Reverend Jimmy Swaggart:

"I'm trying to find the correct name for it...this utter absolute, asinine,
idiotic stupidity of men marrying men. I've never seen a man in my
life I wanted to marry. And I'm gonna be blunt and plain; if one ever
looks at me like that, I'm gonna kill him and tell God he died."
*

That sound you hear the collective sigh of heartbroken gay men from coast to coast who now have to put their dreams of being with an enlightened soul like Mr. Swaggart aside forever.

Swaggart goes on to praise President Bush's call for a Constitutional amendment that would define marriage as being a union of 1 man and 1 woman (until death or, in roughly about 50% of the cases, acrimonious divorce, do them part) and to hurl a little righteous invective at lawyers and judges who, at least in his mind, support gay marriage. He does, magnanimously, later say that he's not trying to put gays down (kill them yes...but put them down, no way)...that they need salvation and pity in order to see the sinful error of their ways (which, he proclaimed forcefully several times, the bible calls an "abomnation! (sic)" )

The congregation applauded appreciatively throughout this part of the sermon (a flurry of hearty cries of "Amen!" could be heard when the preacher said he'd kill somebody and then lie to God about it) and there was much joy...Christian love, tolerance, and forbearance...flowing in righteous abundance. Hallelujah.

*****

*I watched Mr. Swaggart's sermon on a video link I found on AMERICAblog, a firebrand left-leaning blog which I found my way to via a Google search when I went to verify the quote above as being accurate (naively, this being a "man of God" giving a sermon from the pulpit of a church, I thought it might not be.)

No comments: