Wednesday, September 15, 2004

the last laugh

William Shatner has been the butt of many jokes about his acting talent (or, more to the point, his seeming lack thereof.) I was a big fan of the original Star Trek...yes, I'm of an age where I could watch the original during its original network run...and even I have indulged at jibe or two at the erstwhile Enterprise Captain's shortcoming as a thespian.

As he's grown older, Shatner seems to stop taking himself so seriously and, in the process, has become a more accessible and engaging performer. His commercials for Priceline.com (including and especially the latest campaign with Leonard Nimoy) are charming, funny, self-deprecating advertising gems.

And now, this most reviled of actors, has gone and won himself an Emmy for his guest stint on "The Practice" last season. Will wonders never cease? I was never a viewer of that show but I fondly tip my hat to the Captain just the same. It is, it seems, quite true that he who laughs last laughs best.

No comments: