Tuesday, March 28, 2006

of missing persons

Like most people (or at least so I presume) I don't like funerals. I honestly haven't been to that many but it still seems like too many (especially the ones for my brother and my favorite uncle far too many years gone now.)

For the second year in a row I'll be attending a funeral for one of my mother's sisters (my mother was the fourth of six children...she's now the eldest surviving sibling after the deaths of her older brother and two older sisters.)

My Aunt Sarah and I weren't especially close during the past couple of decades...we were closer when I was a child but we drifted apart when she wouldn't...or couldn't...stop trying to keep me in a child's space long after I was past the age of majority...and her passing wasn't a surprise (she's been fading for some months)...but it is still sobering and sad that we will be burying her on Thursday.

Perhaps she's found the peace on the other side of the light that she never seemed able to find here during her nearly eighty year journey on this bittersweet Earth of ours. I certainly hope she has.

Pictures on the nightstand, TV’s on in the den
Your house is waiting, your house is waiting
For you to walk in, for you to walk in
But you’re missing, when I shut out the lights
You’re missing, when I close my eyes
You’re missing, when I see the sun rise
You’re missing...

"You're Missing"
words and music by Bruce Springsteen

No comments: