Monday, February 07, 2005

Super Bowl Blues?

I missed most of the Super Bowl. I was off helping a friend and away from television for most of the first three quarters of the game. I caught the fourth quarter but I wasn't that engaged by it. Being the serious pro football fan that I am, you might think that I would upset by this but, oddly enough, I'm not.

The game, I'm told, was no great shakes (Super Bowls rarely are), and even the vaunted commercials weren't, again I'm told, all that interesting (the continuing fallout from last year's Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake performance apparently cowed the advertisers...a couple of ads having been pulled before the game after the PC police had nervous breakdowns about them...into keeping things as non-threatening as possible.)

I presume Paul McCartney's halftime show was fine (I've heard mixed reviews but they seem to be leaning towards the positive) but I don't feel like I missed anything vital there either.

I had a mild rooting interest in the outcome ("my" team didn't win) but, frankly, it didn't matter that much to me who won. And so, having missed most of the Super Bowl, I'm not at all upset.

I'm more bummed by the fact that the 2004 NFL season is now competely over (and no, I do not count Sunday's Pro Bowl as a real part of the season...the players don't take the game that seriously and so neither do I) and it's months and months away from the start of training camp for the 2005 campaign...where every team starts with a chance to go all the way (Vegas oddsmakers, never ones to let much grass grow under their feet, has apparently already installed the Patriots as the favorites to win next year's Super Bowl) including my hapless (but still beloved...I'm no fair weather fan) Raiders (hope springs eternal until the games start and the contenders immediately start to sort out the contenders.)

Sundays are now freed up for other things (like going to more movies...or taking walks along the beach or around Lake Miramar...or whatever else comes up) until autumn brings the bruisers of the gridiron back to the fields and back to my television screen. I can wait...patience is a virtue I try to embrace as much as possible...but I will be marking the days :-)


1 comment:

aprilbapryll said...

Besides cooking, I caught the whole game and it wasn't interesting. I kept nodding off, and I am a fan of NFL. Now if only there was hockey to keep us going (that's my true passion).