Thursday, October 25, 2007

150 Words: Unexpected Encounter

She smiled warily. She wasn’t sure if she was happy to see me and I couldn’t blame her for that. I was surprised that she was at the party…I didn’t know that she knew Vince and Mary.

I took a deep breath and started to negotiate the throng. She shook her head…pausing for a pregnant moment before she did so. I stopped and lost myself in memory: the first time I saw her smile, the first time I held her, the first time I kissed her, the first time we made love, the look in her eyes when I confessed, the only time she slapped me.

I started again but stopped when the tall man handed her a drink and then kissed her tenderly. He put his arm around her and they disappeared into the crowd. Someone put on a Billie Holiday record. I had another drink before I left.

No comments: