Saturday, October 22, 2005

a brief political aside

Ah, politics…and especially political ads…you gotta love ‘em (or at least you gotta try to find the humor in them because otherwise you might start to seriously wonder if this is really the way we want to choose our “leaders”.)

I thought the war of words and slick televised character assassinations going on between our Governor Arnold and his most vehement adversaries, the unions for public workers (teachers, firefighters, police officers, etc.) had gotten nasty but 10 days in Virginia showed me that both sides in that little fracas are just lobbing puffballs at each other compared to the hell-raisin’ broadsides being hurled over the airwaves in the Old Dominion State.

The typical ad (no matter the office being contested: governor, lt. governor, delegate, dog catcher, whatever) went something like this: “My opponent is THE SPAWN OF SATAN! And if you elect that rascal, life as you know it will come to a cataclysmic end! They’ll be dogs and cats living together! Anarchy in the streets! Save your very souls and vote for me! I’m the reincarnation of any great leader you ever liked and I approved this totally factual ad. ” (Okay, I may be paraphrasing a little but that seemed to be the gist of it…)

And then 30 seconds or so later would come this: “I am not the spawn of Satan but I’m not surprised that my opponent is telling you that because he is EVIL INCARNATE! I love God and puppies and lowering your taxes and if you elect me I will use my mighty powers to make traffic disappear, stop hurricanes, and make life in our great state paradise on Earth! So remember: I’m the good guy, he’s EVIL INCARNATE…the choice is clear. I’m not the spawn of Satan and I approved this ad.” (Again, these may not be the exact words but that was the general flavor of the thing.)

Ah, politics…you gotta...

No comments: