Tuesday, October 11, 2005

39,000 Feet

The world seems utterly at peace at 39,000 feet. The clouds drift aimlessly, no time to bother about where they're going or when they'll get there.

The mountains and plains and fields...the rivers and lakes and oceans...and even the cities and towns and villages...free, or at least so it seems from that lofty vantage point, from the maddening, thrilling, unpredictable, totally mundane affairs of humankind.

At 39,000 feet the world makes placid sense and it's laid out with wondrous precision and grace.

I'm not a big fan of traveling...I don't mind being elsewhere I'm just not enamored of the process of getting there...but, that said, I really don't mind at all the different perspective you get when you're high above the world.

I flew out of California yesterday morning...making my way to Virginia by way of Georgia...and I dashed off these thoughts somewhere over Texas (the in-flight movie...the insipid movie version of "Bewitched"...having absolutely no appeal to me and thus presenting me with too much time on my idle hands and my feverish imagination.) Next week I'll make the return trip and gain a bit more perspective...at 39,000 feet.

No comments: