Sunday, June 12, 2005

(not) a whole lotta shakin' goin' on

So I'm sitting on my couch in my pajamas this morning...sipping tea, enjoying an interesting reports about Toulouse Lautrec, Mark Twain's house, and the celebrity/paparazzi wars on Sunday Morning, basically just easing into a cool, grey, quiet weekend morning...when the Earth moves. Just a bit. Just a distinct rolling motion. Just for a scant few seconds. (It radiated, according to news reports, out of the desert...5.5 on the Richter Scale there, considerably less potent by the time it reached us here on the coast.)

I've lived in Southern California for most of my life so earthquakes have to be of relatively substantial strength for me to really notice them (we get itty-bitty quakes all the time...the vast majority of them meriting neither notice nor comment from jaded Californians.)

The dog, sleeping on the floor next to the couch, didn't stir. The cats, claiming slumber space in various parts of the house, shrugged it off. I waited for a minute or two to see if there would be an aftershock (more out of curiosity than concern) and then shrugged myself and slipped back into my lazy morning...hey, Sunday Morning was doing a story about wiener dog races in Texas by then, now that was interesting! :-)

No comments: