Thursday, January 22, 2009

150 Words: Brothers

The day had been long but fulfilling and we were tired with satisfied accomplishment.

He tentatively put his hand on my shoulder. “Thank you.”

I shrugged and smiled. “Hey, that’s what we do.”

“Even so, you didn’t have to work so hard.”

“That’s what brothers do for brothers. You do know how much I respect you?”

He nodded, self-consciously. We were men; we didn’t speak of such things.

I smiled and looked away. I forced myself to speak again before my instinct to censor my words kicked in. “And you know that I love you, right?”

He blushed, color spreading under his beard. We certainly didn’t speak of such things. He nodded. “Ditto,” he said finally.

I let out the breath I had been holding and laughed softly. I leaned over and kissed his forehead. “Thank you.”

We shared a laugh as I went to wash the day’s work off.

- for Steve -

No comments: