Thursday, May 25, 2006

Guy

Today would have been my brother, Guy’s 48th birthday. My brother loved me fiercely sometimes while we were growing up. My brother hated me fiercely sometimes while we were growing up (I don’t really blame him for that…he suffered the indignity of “why aren’t your more like your big brother” more often than I would have probably been able to handle.) Mostly, he loved me…he was proud of me…he wanted me to fly to places he’d decided he would probably never fly to.

My brother Guy was exasperating and needy and he had terrible tastes in friends and addictive behaviors. I loved him fiercely sometimes while we were growing up. I hated him fiercely sometimes while we growing up.

I don’t know if that’s the way of all brothers but it was the way of my brother and I.

My brother Guy died in 1992…a bitterly unsurprising overdose…and today…today would have been his 48th birthday.

No comments: