Monday, September 10, 2007

Remember


Remember? Yes of course I remember. I remember where I was. I can’t imagine that I will ever forget.

I was in Virginia and I had overslept because I had slight head cold. The first tower had already been hit by the time I finally got out of bed. My head was stuffy and my night had been restless and it didn’t make any sense.

I sat in front of the TV in my pajamas…my granddaughter, all of 8 months old, sleeping on my shoulder…and watched as the other plane hit…as the first tower fell…as the second tower fell…as the world came to a dead stop in a horrible symphony of blood and tears and death, of destruction and terror and awful amazement and stubborn defiance. I sat in front of the TV and wondered when I was going to wake up from the surreal nightmare I seemed to be having.

The world didn’t stop spinning…though at times it seemed like should have…and time kept moving forward…though seemingly not at as a rapid and regular a pace as it should have been flowing. We held our collective breath and tried to make sense of our collective fear and grief and rage and confusion…and the world kept spinning.

Six year later, I still remember…we still remember…we are not allowed to forget…we are, for the most part, not willing to forget. The memories of the fallen…on that day and on the bloodied streets and battlefields that followed that day…defy us to even try to forget.

The world keeps spinning…the blood keeps flowing…and I remember…yesterday, today, and tomorrow, I remember…


No comments: